Frequently Asked Questions

For your assistance we have listed below the most frequently asked questions

Are any Andover Allotment sites to be sold for housing?

No. The Town Council will not sell any allotment land for housing. The Town Council is actively campaigning for more land in the Andover area to be set aside for Allotments.

Can my plot be taken away from me?

Yes, but only in certain circumstances, for example if you fail to cultivate your plot, keeping tidy and weed free. Also, if you do not make payment within the timeframe set out by Andover Town Council we reserve the right to take the plot from you.
If you are temporarily experiencing difficulties cultivating your plot, please contact the Town Council so that we are aware of the situation and we may be able to help.
If the plot continues to be uncultivated with no explanation, you will be served a Notice to Quit.

Can tenants trim the boundary hedges and trees themselves?

No, the Town Council cannot allow tenants to do this for Health and Safety reasons. If you have an issue with overgrown hedges or overhanging trees, please report it on the Issues Page.

How do I get an allotment?

You must reside in the Parish of Andover to qualify to apply for an allotment plot (Anna Valley is not within the Andover Parish). You can apply for an allotment by visiting our website

Here you will find lots of information regarding allotments together with an on-line application form.  Enter your details and click on submit, you will automatically receive a confirmation email that your application has been received.  The allotments administrator will enter your details onto the waiting list.

You can contact our offices by telephone (01264 335592) during public opening times and request that your details be added to the waiting list or alternatively you can write to the Town Council (66C High Street Andover SP10 1NG) stating your full name, address and a contact telephone number.

How do I pay for my allotment plot?

Credit or Debit card (on-site in the office)
BACS transfer
You can pay for your plot by sending a cheque made payable to ‘Andover Town Council’ to the Town Council offices or visit us in person. Our public opening hours are usually extended for our tenants during September.  Currently we cannot take payment over the telephone, direct debit / standing order or by instalments.

How do I report an incident on the site?

There will be a letter box attached to the Notice Board on the allotment site where you can post any matters you wish to raise or you may telephone the council offices. Please note that staff may be attending to a member of the public and be unable to answer the telephone. In such cases please leave a telephone message and a member of staff will call you back. Alternatively, you can report an incident via the website, click on ‘report an incident’.

How long will I have to wait for an allotment?

The current waiting time is less than one year.  However if you have a preference for which site you wish to wait for, you may find that you will have to wait longer. Please contact the office for the latest information.

How much does an allotment cost?

The current cost of an allotment is 40p per sq metre.  Water charges are not included and these charges are passed on at cost to the plot holder.

Is the rent collected spent on allotment sites?

Yes, all rent monies collected from allotments are spent on the allotment sites. Andover Town Council also heavily subsidise the cost of allotments alongside the income from Allotment rental.

What are allotment holders getting for their fees?

Maintained boundary hedges/fencing/tree line.
Removal of dangerous trees.
Paths maintained.
Pest control.
Gate maintenance (locks, keys, repair)
Plot management
Vandalism response
Warden (new suggestion boxes being installed) introduction of Warden meeting new tenants where possible, Warden details included in the information pack for new tenants.
Toilet facilities.
Maintenance of access roads/parking areas
Yearly skip debris removal
Maintenance of site noticeboards
Maintenance programme published and updated on website

What are the Town Council opening hours?

The Town Council offices are open to the public on Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday mornings, 10am – 1pm. We are available by appointment only outside of these opening hours.

What can I grow and can I keep animals?

You may grow anything within reason and within the Law. We would ask that you give consideration to your neighbouring tenants when deciding what to plant. Before erecting any sheds/poly tunnels etc permission has to be sought from the Town Council in writing and sheds/poly tunnels must not encroach onto any neighbouring plot or pathway or shadow an adjacent plot.

Tenants can also apply separately to keep animals such as chickens and rabbits. We do not allow bees to be kept on our allotment sites.

What facilities do the allotment sites have?

Each site has its own water supply and toilet facilities. A dedicated warden is usually available to assist tenants.

What happens when I get to the top of the waiting list?

Once your name reaches the top of the list you will be contacted by the allotments administrator, either by telephone or in writing.  You will be offered the plot that has become available and you will be given details of the plot and how to view before deciding whether to take it or not.  If you decide that the plot is not for you then you will remain on the waiting list and offered the next available plot.  The administrator will try to arrange of viewing with yourself and the site warden so that you can discuss with him/her the history of the site and familiarise yourself with the surroundings.

What is the Town Council responsible for?

The Town Council owns and manages 7 allotment sites, with a total of 503 plots.

What size are the plots?

Allotment plots do vary in size ranging from 60 square metres to 400 square metres.  The average plot size is 126 square metres.

When are the Council meetings held?

The Town Council publish the dates for public meetings on the Town Council website. Agendas are also published on the Notice Board at the Guildhall and hard copies can be obtained from the Library. The Town Council also has a Notice Board on the outside of the Town Council Offices.

Where are the Town Council meetings held?

The Town Council hold all their meetings at the Town Council offices throughout the year with the exception of the Full Town Council meeting which is held in the Upper Guildhall.

Where are your offices located?

The Town Council offices are located in Black Swan Yard, just off the High Street.  Walking towards the High Street from International furniture store, the last building on the right with a green door is the street entrance to the offices. On entry turn left and take the stairs to the first floor reception.

Why are there empty plots?

All allotment plots are normally tenanted or under offer.
The Allotment Waiting list has been reduced from 165 to approaching single figures, due to our successful management of allocating vacant plots.
There are some uncultivated plots (sometimes due to personal circumstances) and the.Town Council is aware of these and work with the tenants of these plots to bring them up back up to standard.